ICRA is led by Christopher Langton OBE who spent 32 years in the British Army. During this time he served in Northern Ireland, Russia, the South Caucasus where he was Deputy Chief of UNOMIG and held defence attaché appointments in Russia, the South Caucasus, and Central Asia. Subsequently he worked at the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) for 9 years where he was the focus on Afghanistan. At IISS he held appointments as the Head of Defence Analysis, Editor of “The Military Balance” and Research Fellow for Russia before being appointed Senior Fellow for Conflict & Defence Diplomacy.
He has worked as an independent expert on the international investigation into the Russia-Georgia conflict of August 2008 and on the Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission investigating the violence that occurred in Southern Kyrgyzstan in 2010. Christopher was also Advisor to the UK-China Conflict Prevention Working Group 2014-2015 under the aegis of Saferworld and supported by DFID. He was a contributor to the 2008 report titled “Understanding Afghanistan”, commissioned by DFID and run under the aegis of York University http://www.york.ac.uk/media/prdu/documents/publications/pub.Understanding%20Afghanistan%20Nov2008.pdf
His publications include:
- The Military Balance 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 (Editor).
- Afghanistan section of Strategic Survey 2007, 2008.
- Strategic comments. “Suicide attacks” – a tactical weapon system”; “Afghanistan’s poppy crop”.
- International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS); Adelphi Book 414-414 2010; Europe and Global Security Chapter 3; The Effects of Global Demographics.
- Institute for Regional Studies (Islamabad). “Afghanistan’s importance for Future Peace and Stability in South Asia”.
- Other: “Wild Blue Geraniums – aspects of conflict”. Collection of poems.
Elena Imbimbo Rathgeber is ICRA Deputy Head. She holds a University Degree in Foreign Languages from Catholic University, Milan (Italy) and a Master’s Degree in International Journalism from City University, London (UK). She worked in the publishing and media industry in Italy, Switzerland and England. She has extensive experience in research and analysis of conflict and international relations. She now lives in the US.
Elena carries out analysis of generic conflict issues; she coordinates and supports existing ICRA training programmes. She researches and produces ICRA’s Central Asia Journal, which is being used by research institutes and international organizations, and works extensively in preparing the lessons in conflict management and ICRA discussion papers. She has created the ICRA website, and is in charge of editing and managing it.
Her publications include:
- Translation from Russian into Italian: “Koranicheskie Skazanie” by Mikhail B. Piotrovskij. Published in 2009 – Marietti 1820 (“Koranic Tales“). https://biblioteche.parma.it/SebinaOpac/resource/le-visioni-del-corano/PAR0892615?tabDoc=tabloca
- ICRA’s Central Asia Journal – The journal shows the security and commercial relationships between Afghanistan, Central Asia, Russia, China, Iran, India and Pakistan as well as some detail on involvement beyond the immediate region.
Individual experts join ICRA’s network for projects and programmes specific to their areas of expertise.